Thursday, August 14, 2014

What's for Dinner: Slow Cooker Jambalya

How is August almost half over?? These weeks just fly by don't they??



 This week we will be featuring the slow cooker once again for a meal my whole family ate up! 



Here's what you will need:
12 oz turkey sausage, sliced
1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes with juice
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp dried parsley
2 tsp Cajun seasoning
1 tsp cayenne pepper**
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 cup dry brown rice


The original recipe also called for chicken but I didn't want a "meaty" dish so we used just the turkey sausage.  I am sure you could use other sausage if you like.  Or you could use shrimp or just chicken.  It really is your preference. 

Directions:
Place all the ingredients in your slow cooker except your rice. {You don't need that yet.} Give it a good stir and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low 7-10.  




When you are almost ready to serve, cook up some brown rice according to the package directions. Spoon the jambalaya over the rice and serve it up hot! {For my boys, (3 and 1.5) I served their rice on the side.  I knew they probably wouldn't eat the tomatoes but everything else, seriously, GOBBLED UP!}

**I only used 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper since our whole family was eating this and I didn't want it to be too spicy for the littles. Well, my husband thought it was spicy {I did not}.  So you may want to tone down that measurement even more if you don't like a lot of heat. :) 

Original recipe here

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I've never though to do jambalaya in the slow cooker before.. this looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete