Thursday, August 7, 2014

What's for Dinner: Chicken Gyros


Happy Thursday everyone! It is the first Thursday of August and to me, August signifies the start of fall.  I know technically that is incorrect, but my yearly calendar will always begin with August.  From the years of being a student going straight into teaching for four years before staying home, August signifies the end of summer and the beginning of fall.

And fall is my FAVORITE time of year! Bring on the skinny jeans, boots, chunky sweaters, hoodies, bonfires, FOOTBALL, pumpkin patches, the BEST scents, and--in my kitchen-- the SLOW COOKER!

I use the slow cooker year round but it really gets fired up and put into overtime during the fall and winter months.  Regardless of if you work or stay home or work from home, knowing that your dinner is slow cooking all day so it is ready when you want it is just a bit of a dream.  So these next few weeks we will be highlighting some healthy slow cooker meals to get you geared up for fall!



Don't we all love a good gyro? I know I do! But if we aren't careful they can be quite calorie dense so this recipe is great because it is light, made my house smell awesome and, of course, cooked in my slow cooker! 

Not picture: The most important ingredient--the chicken! HA

Ingredients:
1 pound chicken
1 onion, diced,
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup water
3 gloves garlic, minced (I didn't have fresh so I used the dry equivalent)
1 Tbsp EVOO
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp oregano
1tsp lemon pepper
1/4 tsp all spice

Directions:
Spray your slow cooker with a non-stick cooking spray.  (I look for coconut oil or something a little cleaner than Pam) Or better yet, use one of those handy-dandy slow cooker liners for even easier clean up! 

Place your chicken in the slow cooker. Mix all other ingredients in a separate bowl and then pour onto your chicken.  Cook on high 3-4 hours or on low 7-8 hours.  Shred your chicken and then serve it up!

This is a great way to get in some extra veggies.  Slice up some onions, tomatoes, lettuce and cucumber.  You can add a teaspoon of feta for a kick or if you are adventurous, check out some clean tzatziki sauce recipes! I left that off mine.  You can eat this naked or with a whole-grain pita pocket.  Your choice!





1 comment:

  1. Yummy! I'm not a huge gyro fan, but a chicken one I could get down on!

    ReplyDelete