Thursday, June 19, 2014

What's for Dinner: Week

Happy Thursday! Are you ready to see what's cooking in the kitchen this week?



We have been a grilling family this week! I love the grill! Especially when the weather gets really hot! I just don't want to get my kitchen and house all warm because I am running the oven or stove whipping something up! No thanks; not so fun! So we take a lot of our meals outside.  Another bonus--less kitchen clean up!!!! Can I get an amen??

Today's featured meal is supper simple.  It is actually something I was introduced to in high school.  A group of friends and I made these together one night. It is a really great way to use up veggies, to create a different meal for everyone {without ACTUALLY creating a different meal} and it is really healthy.

Let me introduce you to...

Hobo Dinners {please take no offense to the name, that is what they were introduced to me as. And  no, I don't know why. That is just what my friends called them.}

What is a hobo dinner? It is a hodge podge of deliciousness that is all put together in a foil packet to be grilled.  Are you questioning me? Don't! Just don't.  It is delicious. 

Ingredients:
~1 pound of ground turkey
~1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
~1 tsp garlic powder
~2-3 red potatoes, diced into small chunks
~2-3 carrots, shredded
~1 onion, chopped
~2 cups of corn {I use frozen and just make sure it is thawed}
~Salt and pepper

~Heat your grill to about 375. 
~Mix the first three ingredients together.  Then form them into 4-5 small patties. Place those patties onto large separate sheets of foil that have been sprayed with non-stick spray or have a bit of EVOO on them.  {these sheets will be your grill pouches}
~Next take your potatoes and veggies. Distribute them evenly among each pouch.  
~Sprinkle with salt and pepper. 
~Fold your pouch but not so tight that the heat can't circulate in there.  More like a tent.
Grill for 30-40 minutes.

SO SIMPLE right??!? I love this meal.  It has everything I need to call it a meal but if you want, serve a side salad with it to up your veggies.  You can absolutely change it up and add other ingredients.  Think summer squash, bell peppers, mushrooms--- whatever you'd like.  Or if you have a picky eater, you can omit an ingredient from their pouch.  

Go ahead and give it a try! You are going to love it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment