Monday, May 12, 2014

Cravings, I'm Calling Your Bluff!

The first time I became pregnant, I couldn't wait to experience my first "pregnancy craving".  I had heard about the range of crazy foods pregnant women craved; all hours of the day; ranging from typical to the most unusual.  

I always wondered what mine would be and when they would hit.  I would picture my husband getting up and heading to the market or random eatery to pick up something so out of the blue that I craved on a whim.  

And oh did they come! I was surprised how quickly those pregnancy cravings kicked in.  It almost seemed like the minute I knew I was pregnant, that baby was just demanding all kinds of tasty things.  

What were those cravings?
Pickles
Candy (sour and chocolate)
French Fries
Ice cream
Cheeseburgers
Pizza

CRAZY right? No--not at all.  Those are foods I love.  Those are foods I would eat all the time.  Foods I would pick (now) as a treat or cheat or indulgence.  

Can I tell you something? I don't think there really are pregnancy cravings.  At least, not in my world.  I craved the same foods I crave anytime.  The difference was, during my first pregnancies, I gave into them because I had this excuse (pregnancy) to give into them.  To eat whatever the "baby" wanted. 

What a joke! What sabotage! The best foods for my baby isn't junk food.  It is whole, healthy, clean foods.  And the more I indulge in those the better I feel.  

I think it can be easy to use pregnancy as an excuse.  I sure did.  And believe me, I still indulge in those cravings from time to time.  The difference is, I choose when.  I choose how often.  And I do so knowing that it isn't a pregnancy craving; it is me choosing to treat myself to something I don't normally.  I recognize now that just because my mind is telling me I want something or I'm hungry--it doesn't mean I actually am.  If that were the case I would be eating french fries dipped in milkshakes all day long.  

We have to learn to differentiate between a true feeling of hunger and boredom.  A true craving versus just a yummy treat we'd like to indulge in.  

I'm far from perfect at this but am making an effort!

What was your "pregnancy" craving that you liked to give in to?? 

No comments:

Post a Comment