Monday, February 17, 2014

See ya 1st trimester!

I posted here last week about our news.  My hope is to share my journey through this pregnancy focusing on how to be the healthiest I can be and stay fit.  I hope to inspire other women who are pregnant or who want to be pregnant in the future.  If you check out my story I was far from fit or healthy during my first pregnancy and only faired slightly better during my second.

So what am I doing? I am about to begin my 7th week of P90x3.  This program has been wonderful in helping me stay active.  I get to work my entire body in a great workout that is only 30 minutes long.  This was extremely helpful during that first trimester when it is so common to feel exhausted.  We are growing a human being!! Another thing that I have really loved is the mix of workouts.  They are intense and I am always careful to listen to my body but since I was used to working out, continuing to do so has not posed any problems.

Another thing I am doing this pregnancy is drinking Shakeology every day.  I did check with my OB about this. She was amazed at all the nutrition I was going to get.  She looked at the full ingredient list and saw no reason to not do this.  Besides getting all of that nutrition for both myself and the baby, I have noticed one other HUGE benefit.  With both of my boys, the first trimester zapped me.  I napped every day when I was pregnant with Hudson (the perks of being a teacher with summers off) and went to bed super early each night when pregnant with Beau.  This pregnancy I did not have that zap of energy like before.  There were days here and there but overall, I felt normal!! Anyone who has been pregnancy and can recall that exhausting feeling can attest to how awesome that is!

Today I am adding one more component to this journey.  I am starting the 21 Day Fix nutrition plan.  Why this plan? I wrote about it back here in full detail but it is basically a portion control nutrition program that focuses on using whole, clean foods.  There is no measuring or counting required.  It is super simple.  But more than that, I know I can over eat.  I know that I have used the "eating for two" excuse before and in reality ate like I was pregnant with triplets!  

Here is what I am eating this week:


I spoke to my doctor at my first appointment about weight gain and exercise.  Since I was already working out, she felt I could absolutely continue with my current program. We talked about what amount of weight to lift was acceptable and when to stop high impact aerobics to take any stress off my pelvis.  We also talked about what was an acceptable weight gain and when it was necessary to really increase my calorie intake.  You only need 300 extra calories/day when pregnant. 300!!! That is a snack people! 

For me, an acceptable weight gain is between 20-25 pounds. Could I gain more and still be healthy? Sure! Is it necessary for my baby's growth and development? No.  For me personally, gaining in that range is fine.  

I haven't gained weight yet but know that I will gain start to gain soon as my baby develops.  Using the Fix, I hope to gain weight steadily from healthy carbs, fats, and proteins.  That's right! I am not avoiding any food groups! I am eating foods in a balanced plan to fuel my body and nourish it to grow this sweet little one.  

I can't wait to keep you updated these next three weeks as I use the nutrition portion.  I will be starting those workouts post P90x3.  Check back often! And if you have questions send me a message or leave a comment! I would love to hear from you!

**I am not a doctor, dietitian, or fitness expert.  As always, discuss with your doctor before starting a program while pregnant.  All opinions pertain to my own personal journey and experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment