Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Eating for two- JUST TWO!

In the past when I was pregnant, I always would follow up a large meal or indulgence by giving my husband this look and then, "What? I am eating for two!" As if I needed to defend my actions.  Well of course I did!  Mama was acting like she was eating for triplets!

Here is the thing, since announcing my pregnancy I have had a lot of people ask me about what it is I am eating exactly.  

Let's break it down.  A person who began their pregnancy with a normal and healthy BMI doesn't really need to gain all that much weight.  A few pounds more if you were underweight to start, about 10 pounds less if you are overweight when you begin your pregnancy.  Your doctor should be able to discuss with you a healthy range for weight gain.  

With that said, for me I only want to, need to gain, 25-30 pounds. I am really striving on the lower end of that.  My doctor said between 20-25 would be fine.  Always, always talk to your doctor.

So how do I plan to stay within that range? Well, first, I educated myself.  Truthfully, those first 12 weeks aren't the weeks to start packing on the pounds.  Your calorie range doesn't really need to change all the much.  You peanut is growing.  Your nutrition should be nutrient dense, absolutely.  But let's be honest. There are women who LOSE weight the first trimester due to morning sickness.  And they grow beautiful, healthy babies.  

So I did not increase my calories during my first trimester.  I ate according to the calorie range specification with my workout program.  I did not gain or lose any weight those first twelve weeks.  On average, women may gain between 1-4 pounds that first trimester.

Now at 13 weeks, I still have 27 weeks to go! That seems like so many until I get to meet our newest addition.  So my goal is to not gain more than a pound a week, however that would average out.  That would easily put me in the range my doctor specified.  

Now--back to that original question--what am I eating exactly?

I talked on my previous post about using the 21 day fix program.  Obviously that can help you lose weight, but for me it is helping me maintain and gain in a sensible way.  You only need 300 extra calories a day to support a healthy pregnancy.  300! I used to grossly overestimate what 300 calories was.  I would eat my normal meals (which honestly were probably too many calories for me anyway) and then say, "well 300 calories is like a snack so how about a snack size blizzard?" YIKES!!

Now- using the fix to guide me- I am not eating processed foods, really cutting back on dairy, added salt and sugar.  

I eat lots of fresh veggies and fruit, lean protein, and a few carbs.  I also have some healthy fats. Fat is important, especially during pregnancy! 

More specifically, I drink Shakeology daily.  It gives me all the vitamins and minerals my body (and baby!) need.  I still take my prenatal vitamin that I get OTC.  I checked with my OB.  Even though I am taking a vitamin and drinking a vitamin rich shake, there is no way to get too many vitamins.  Your body naturally excretes extra vitamins in your urine. 

I also drink 100+ ounces of water a day.  I find that I have more energy and feel much better when well hydrated. This will also be helpful during the summer months to reduce water retention and swelling.  

I eat about 3-4 large servings of vegetables. Well, what fits in my green containers.  Either fresh or steamed. I eat 3 servings of fresh fruit.  I eat four servings of lean protein (one being my Shakeology).  I eat a serving a healthy fats, usually almonds or avocados. I only eat 1-2 carbs a day.  Although I love my carbs, I know I overate on them during my first pregnancy.  When I watch them my sugar levels are more stable.  It also helps with keeping those levels in check so you don't run the risk of gestational diabetes. I also really limit my dairy.  I get plenty of calcium from my shake, vitamins, and other foods.  I also eat cottage cheese once a day so get some calcium from that.

If you follow a plan with those types of servings, you really can allow yourself to eat all day.  I am eating about every 2-3 hours starting when I wake up.  I also try not to eat after 7.  I used to snack A LOT in the evening in my other two pregnancies.  It really added extra pounds, gave me heartburn...it was no fun.

If you would like to talk more specifically, I would love to chat with you. You can send me a message from this blog or connect with me on Facebook. Link on the side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment