Thursday, July 7, 2016

How to Get Your Man Healthy

Let's hear it for the BOYS!!!

I spend a lot of time here sharing what it is important for women to be healthy. How we can often put ourselves on the back burner. How we are doers, nurturers and just aim to please others.

But what about our awesome male counterparts?!!!

My husband is like a lot of men I know. He was active his whole life; participating in team sports from an early age and then competing competitively year round in different sports. Like a lot of guys, he didn't pay too much attention to what he ate. He didn't eat great but didn't eat bad and certainly didn't have to think about portions or if that late night trip through a drive through was a good choice.

I'm not sure when it exactly all changed, it seemed like after having kids, but Andrew's weight started to fluctuate. And then last year, with a job that had a lot of traveling, dinner meetings and long hours, I noticed not just my husband's weight change, but his whole well being too!

And, honestly, I think of a lot of guys are like my husband!
Hard working. Spends lots of time with their kids. Does things for others. Not a lot of free time.

I don't want to be the only one getting healthy over here. So this spring, Andrew and I committed to getting our healthiest together. Since starting, he's gone down pant sizes, more than 15 pounds and has energy that he was SERIOUSLY lacking before!

I wanted to share my simple tips for any guy wanting to get healthy!

{O N E}
Eat breakfast. 
This one is a biggie. Breakfast really is the most important meal of the day. It revs up your metabolism for the day. Your body is ready for that energy boost! I mean, you haven't eaten since dinner the night before! Not only does your body need nutrients--but so does your brain! You need fuel to thrive! Studies show eating breakfast aids in weight loss, enhanced memory and energy levels.

A healthy breakfast doesn't have to take a lot of effort. Shakeology is a simple go to my husband can grab as he runs out the door. Prepping some egg muffins over the weekend to use throughout the week, or some granola with greek yogurt and fruit can be scarfed down pretty quickly! The point is, something besides black coffee!

{T W O}
Eat often. 
When talking with my husband, I was often surprised to hear how LITTLE he was eating during the day. Same principle as the breakfast idea, our bodies need fuel. Think of your metabolism as a fire. For it to burn hot and strong, you have to add fuel to the fire consistently!!! Every 2-3 hours a small meal or snack is going to not only keep that metabolism running high, but also you won't experience those hard crashes!

Keeping snacks on hand, in the car, at your desk, in the gym bag makes this easy. Nuts.com has some awesome healthy snack options that your guy (and kiddos) would love. I like to vary snack choices: healthy fats, fresh fruits and veggies, dried fruit options and proteins!

Some of my favorite, travel-friendly options are:

*Energy bites
*Protein bars
*Beef Jerky
*Nuts (almonds, pistachios, peanuts)
*Trail Mixes

Check out this yummy option!


{T H R E E}
Exercise
I know, I know. This one is a given. But it can be easy to put on the back burner, be inconsistent, or feel like you don't have the time for a good workout. Newsflash! Any workout is better than NO workout! It doesn't matter if it's as hard core as it used to be, fellas. Run, lift, walk, swim, crossfit--just add in some activity!

My husband likes variety and with his schedule he absolutely can't make it to the gym regularly. So between running, working out at home with 22 Minute Hard Corps or streaming something off Beachbody on Demand at his hotel while on the road--he has no excuse to not get in a quick workout a few times each week.

Ladies {fellas}--let's keep pushing towards that healthy lifestyle. Weight loss may be a by-product but a long healthy life free of health issues is the best thing I can think of for my man! And I know I want my male counterpart to be around for as long as I am! ;)

For more healthy, easy to pack snack options, check out Nuts. com

No comments:

Post a Comment