Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Bucket Fillers

When I was a teacher, we talked a lot about the importance of being a bucket filler.  You know--about doing and acting in a way that would positively impact those we came in contact with.  Those actions didn't have to be big but they were so crucial in making our world better.  Giving a smile, a kind word, making eye contact and listening whole-heartedly, giving a compliment.  This was an important part of my role as a teacher.  I wanted to not only teach my kids in subject area but in LIFE!

This past weekend my bucket was so full it was overflowing! If the bucket were real, I would not have been able to carry it around it was so filled in every sense imaginable.  

Let me back up. Last Thursday, after moving into our new home on Monday and madly unpacking home contents and madly packing suitcase contents, I flew to Dallas for leadership training for work.  I knew I was going to be surrounded by amazing people, learning from inspiring leaders, and training with top coaches and instructors.  I was excited.  I was ready.  I was NERVOUS!

You see, I was going to this conference, meeting people from my amazing team, but actually, finally meeting them in person.  Out of the large group that was attending, I had only met three {THREE!!!} in person.  And of those three, I only really knew one.  I had lots of doubts and insecurities.  I mean, yeah we were cool online and I considered them friends but what if we didn't click? What if it wasn't the same in person? Can you relate? Have you ever been in that kind of situation?

I arrived on Thursday, nervous and cautiously excited, to find out that the ONE person I knew wasn't going to be able to make it into Dallas until Friday afternoon! "WHAT?? What now?" is what raced through my mind.  I literally did not have a clue what my afternoon and evening would look like.  But I stepped outside of my comfort zone, messaged a fellow coach I knew was already there and met up with her and some of her coaches. 

I  mean look at the hotel.  It was even intimidating! 

And y'all, that night, I met some of my best friends.  Seriously.  Within minutes, I was laughing harder than I had laughed in awhile.  I was sharing about my life and learning about theirs.  We were open and honest and all my insecurities left and my guard was completely down.  

PiYo Live with Chalene Johnson

Previewing Insanity: Max 30

The amazing thing though, is that same thing continued to happen all weekend long as I met more and more coaches from my team.  They smiled at me.  They listened.  They included.  We shared stories and meals and laughter and LIFE.  We learned together and worked out together and had a party of a time together! 

Dinner with two amazing women!

I am so grateful. What would my life be like if I hadn't gone, had I never taken the step and said YES! to this opportunity?  I can't imagine.  I am such a better person because of it; because of people like Cynthia, Brooke, Anastasia, Kristen, Stacy, and so many more who came into my life in an even bigger way last weekend.  

Do you have that in your life? Bucket fillers? Are you a bucket filler? I always strived to be but am definitely going to be even more intentional about it now! 

No comments:

Post a Comment